"Default" spin of Fedora

Sebastian Vahl fedora at deadbabylon.de
Thu Jun 12 14:46:08 UTC 2008

Am Do 12.Juni 2008 schrieb Kevin Kofler:
> (First of all, sorry for the lack of threading and line breaks in the
> previous reply, I was not at home and my ISP's webmail system is
> braindead.)
>
> On Thursday 12 June 2008, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > > * But what desktop? The problem is that there are 2 (even 3 counting
> > > your XFCE spin, but unfortunately XFCE is currently not on the DVD
> > > either).
> >
> > As the Xfce spin maintainer, I don't really want my spin to be listed
> > very prominently at all. I dare say the Xfce maintainers in Fedora would
> > likely agree with me on that.
>
> That's OK, but as one of the KDE maintainers, I _do_ want a spin containing
> KDE to be listed prominently (also considering the market share
> statistics). If live CDs are really the way to go (which I'm not sure of
> for reasons already described elsewhere in this thread), then the
> GNOME-based Desktop Live and the KDE Live spin should be listed equally,
> not the GNOME one in a huge link and the KDE one relegated to a hidden
> secondary download page. Otherwise, the default should be the DVD (and KDE
> should also be made more prominent in the installer, but that's a separate
> issue).

+1

> In case you really want the spin maintainer's opinion: I CCed the KDE Live
> CD maintainer on this mail. Sebastian, it would be great to have your
> position too.

(Thanks for the CC)

> > Choice is fine and dandy but it is utterly confusing for the
> > non-technical end users.
>
> That's where we disagree. I think presenting them both options the same way
> is the way to let them pick their own preference, we should not try to
> think for them.

+1

Making things easy is good for the first time user. Making things _too easy_
(eg. don't give them the necessary information to choose the right thing) is
bad for them (and also for all other users).

> > Anybody who even knows what a desktop environment can very well click on
> > the additional options.
>
> Here you're assuming that they even notice that the additional options
> exist at all! If you have a big "Download Fedora now" link with the GNOME
> live CD and some tiny fine print linking to get-fedora, what do you think
> people will click on?

+1

On the current mockup there also seems to be no difference between "Download
Fedora" and "Get Fedora" (on the left side). So people might don't even find
a way to download the DVD or a live image for x86_64 or ppc.
IMHO a "one-click-download" solution isn't a good idea here and make things
more complicated.

> > I do agree with you that additional hints that the desktop spin holds
> > GNOME would be a good thing.
>
> At least there's one thing we agree on. ;-)

+1

BTW: The "Get Fedora" page (http://jprada.fedorapeople.org/out/en/get-fedora)
is much better now because it contains some explanations.

Sebastian