"Default" spin of Fedora

Jon Stanley jonstanley at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 18:10:05 UTC 2008

Forgot to reply to all.

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 12:56 PM, Juan Camilo Prada
<juankprada at gmail.com> wrote:

> Again... lets stop the discussion about KDE vs Gnome we are not going
> anywhere with that... As long as the official desktop is Gnome i think
> we should stick to it and not to a SPIN (no offense to KDE sig or any
> KDE fan).

I'm not sure that GNOME has ever been blessed as a "official" desktop
any more than KDE has. Sure, it;'s the one that I personally find most
useful, and it is the default on a new install. The KDE LiveCD is an
official spin, just as the GNOME LiveCD is an official spin.

Note that I'm not advocating for the KDE guys here, I'm Sweden :)
(disclaimer: I personally use GNOME or Xfce).

> The decision to leave DVD media out of the equation is due to the fact
> that it requires a lot more bandwidth to be downloaded in a considerable
> time than a live media, and also not everybody is able to use a DVD in
> their computer, it also has a lot more software than an average user
> would probably need which seems like a waste of resources for a new user
> to download such a big media just to end up using what the Desktop Live
> media probably has.

I see the problem here as what a Desktop Live Media does *not* have,
which is OpenOffice.org. That's the kind of app that most users are
going to be looking for, IMHO.