"Default" spin of Fedora

Juan Camilo Prada juankprada at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 02:33:45 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-06-15 at 21:36 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> I only want what is best for new Fedora users. GNOME is the default
> desktop in Fedora. That is something I did not decide, that is something
> I have no choice in. So please stop taking it out on me. Please be
> respectful. I am taking that as a given. If KDE was the default desktop,
> my opinion on the design of the page would be exactly the same. I don't
> really care either way, but I want new users to have one obvious choice
> so their experience is as streamlined as possible. More advanced users
> that know enough to care will of course be provided access to other options.
>
> Throwing too many options at the very new users you are trying to usher
> into Fedora and make it as easy as possible to start using Fedora is a
> terrible, terrible idea. If the websites team as designers make an
> exception for KDE, then we'll have other spins asking for exceptions.
> KDE can be part of a rotating banner and if it is really that important
> to you, we can weigh it more heavily than the other banners. By no
> means, however,do I think it's a good idea to place the GNOME and KDE
> desktops on equal footing on the get Fedora page. The distinction is
> meaningless to the new users we are trying so desperately to attract,
> and the argument that they are equal is also moot because GNOME is the
> default desktop and thus are NOT equal.
>
> I think you owe me an apology. I'll be happy to accept your actually
> going to the Board rather than engaging in a long, drawn-out flame war
> as an apology. Please do so.
>
> ~m

Its just me or things are starting to get out of control here?....

As a response to Máirín's comments, yes i think Kevin owes an apology,
Many times you were told to bring the discussion about KDE vs Gnome as
the default desktop to the board, and not only you kept flaming here,
but also insulted Márín and her work.

Not only she has worked on this changes since the beginning (doing a
great job by providing new designs/mockups, feedback and leadership when
needed), she was the one who lead the effort setting the top ten things
to do on the website, and as the result there are all these changes that
have been proposed by the websites team, and now you are taking this
personal.

Now, as this is not going anywhere, i propose just sticking to the
issues that matter in this ml and leave this flame behind. Again, Kevin
(and any other who desires and feels like there is some kind of
injustice here) propose to the board setting KDE as the default desktop
environment and if that is accepted we will happily change the default
media in the one-click download to KDE (or any other that is confirmed
as the default one).

So, if there is any other comment about my proposal[1] please share it.
Im concerned that, so far (apart from what was said in the last meeting)
i have only received this kind of feedback.

[1] http://jprada.fedorapeople.org/out/en/

--
Juan Camilo Prada <jprada at fedoraproject.org>