CLA on Wiki

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 13:35:42 UTC 2008

Assume that we have been given the blessing to use a one-click agreement
to the CLA.  No GPG required, no cumbersome signing process.  Fill in
your personal info and click to indicate you've read and agree to the
CLA, and create a Fedora account.

Now consider our wiki Edit screen.  Assume that Legal really wants us to
have CLA agreement for anyone editing the wiki.  We want that process to
be as low-drag as possible.  So imagine this:

If the user hits Submit, and is not logged in, request the login, along
with a "Create an Account (30 seconds)" link.

The link either goes to a new page, or pops up a little JavaScripty,
Web2.0-y box that collects the minimum info needed for FAS2.  A link is
included to the CLA and an agreement button.  The agreement and link
appear *above* the button:

 "I have read and agree to the terms of the
  [Fedora Contributor License Agreement].
  [I agree]"

Upon creation of the account, the user is returned to their edit without
losing his work, and can then submit it:

 "By pressing 'Submit', you agree to the
  terms of the [WikiLicense].
  [Submit]  [Cancel]"

Seeing as how basically everyone does it -- how hard is this in Moin?
In MediaWiki?