Release counter for F9

Ricky Zhou ricky at fedoraproject.org
Thu Mar 27 23:10:45 UTC 2008

On 2008-03-27 02:22:46 PM, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> For the graphics, I think we can base them on the Beta banner made by Mo
> [1], but we can be open for another approaches.
> I think is easy enough to get all the images pre-rendered in advance by the
> Art team and not rely on a cron job do produce them daily.
That might depend on whether there's any text in image.  If there is
text, I've spoken to Mo about the possiblity of extracting strings for
translation (and automatically generating images for all
days/languages).

> Embedding in the website in another part: for F8 we had something like
> 01.png ... 15.png and the HTML was changed to include the proper image.
> I see here a lot of potential for improvement: provide something that
> people can include on their own pages/websites/blog and spread the waiting
> game all over the web.
> We can do that having a single image like f9counter.png updated daily, but
> this may not be very cache-friendly (people may get an old version from an
> un-updated cache), a JavaScript widget may be a better solution.
For F8, I think we actually ended up including some javascript to update
the image (http://fedoraproject.org/static/js/release-counter.js).  All
of the URLs there are absolute (so anybody can include this script to
get their own counter).

Thanks,
Ricky