Fedora fan sites?

Craig Thomas bicycle.nutz at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 02:47:21 UTC 2008

2008/3/27 Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com>:
> There are a lot of people out there who love Fedora.  Some of them run
>  web sites.  Some of them want to run web sites that talk about Fedora,
>  and they might want to use our open code to provide the site assets.  We
>  don't necessarily want these sites to look just like our site, because
>  then it's easy for visitors to be confused about whether they're on an
>  official site or not.  Then the attendant brand weakening, blah blah
>  blah...
>
>  Is anyone CSS-savvy interested in whipping up a companion
>  "fedora-fan.css" for our web site that would allow people who love us
>  and use our code to have a style sheet all ready to use that's not just
>  like ours, but somewhat attractive, functional, and (dare I say it?)
>  complementary to the official Fedora theme?

I like this idea, but I am not sure that a .css file is the right
approach.  To be effective in terms of a site's 'look', CSS tends to
get pretty specific, pretty quickly.  We could offer a .css file with
default fonts and colors for links and such .However, unless we offer
the markup as well, the CSS 'rules' wont have any 'hooks' into the
unknown code using the .css file to do much. Most likely rendering
them barely useful, or worse, in terms of 'talking up' fedora on fan
sites.

I think better would be to offer the planned RSS feeds, our banners
and count down graphics (and anything else) as 'widgets' to use on
those sites.  The same way the count down graphics we used for F8 was
just a .js file anyone could load and use on their site.

my $.02

--
Craig