New Content for fedoraproject.org

Juan Camilo Prada juankprada at gmail.com
Fri May 2 14:46:58 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 13:02 +0000, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 22:17 -0500, Juan Camilo Prada wrote:
> > So I've made some changes to the current layout again using Máirín's
> > mockups (probably somebody might remember the proposal i did a few
> > months ago). This time i avoided doing just what i though it should be
> > done and actually asked for some help to get the content that should
> > appear on the site.
> >
> > The proposal is here: http://jprada.fedorapeople.org/out/en/index
>
> Suggestion:  The "Principles" section is redundant since both the
> principles are highlighted already in the "About Fedora" section.  You
> can probably eliminate it.

I agree, its just that i added the content of the About fedora section
after editing the front page so i didnt really looked the front page
again. Anyway... ill remove them :)

> > A new section to fp.o was added under the 'What is fedora?' link on the
> > navigation bar, where some basic info about the project appears. It
> > tries to fill the hole left by the lack of information about what the
> > project really is. I think that information really needs to be
> > reviewed and approved by the community so i expect some feedback about
> > that.
>
> Suggestion:  I'm not bowled over by having almost 1/3 of the content
> devoted to talking about why we don't have MP3 out of the box.  The page
> should concentrate on positives.  Maybe that source text could use a bit
> of revision.  Fedora is about more than just codecs and we should use
> this space to talk about all the other things you can do with (and in)
> Fedora.
>
> Really this suggestion speaks more to the need for a revision of the
> "Overview" page.  I had spoken up about doing this before and simply
> haven't had a chance to take care of it.  I've pushed it up on my ToDo
> list accordingly. :-)

Great, thats the whole idea, i didnt like showing the reasons not to use
mp3 but thats the information i found on the wiki. Please let me/us know
about the revision when its donw so we it can be added to the site

> > Also (and is not a new idea) there is the news bar to the right side of
> > the page. It works but it still needs some improvements so it will
> > display news depending on the language selected (right now that website
> > only works in English).
>
> Design suggestion:  Have the box a much more muted grey color (very
> light) and change the links to the color of the ones on the left.  Or
> mute the blue out and have those links appear as white text.  Something
> that doesn't draw the eye so easily away from the center of the page.

Totally agree with you, but as im not a designer myself i'll let that
aspect of the website to somebody who has some skills on web design
(probably somebody from the art team)

> > Another change that was made is the 'Get Fedora' section. Even though
> > right now the section is not functional, it shows the workflow a user
> > should follow in order to get fedora. While it seems to have so many
> > information and options that may get new users to get lost, some
> > improvements are to be made so the process get better and more
> > intuitive, so for now i would like you guys to check the workflow and
> > again give some feedback before the real work on the Get Fedora section
> > starts.
>
> I wrote a proposed workflow in
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PaulWFrields/NewGetFedora which you could
> refer to.  It's very important that this page follow some guidelines
> like avoiding jargon and asking human-flavored questions.

I did had in mind your workflow proposal when working on the Get Fedora
section and we discussed some changes that should be done to it (like
having first the architecture decision), but pretty much what you see in
the proposal is the result of what you proposed there plus some minor
changes (if im wrong please let me know exactly what we missed/did
wrong).

Also there will be a link for a much more direct way to get the
installation media ... something like a "already know what you want?..
get it here" link, so people who already know what they are after can
get it without having to answer each of the questions

btw, i dont understand that "human-flavored question" you talked about
(sorry but i just cant understand the expression)

> I really feel that the page should use JavaScript to present only one
> question at a time, hiding and unhiding page elements as needed so the
> user doesn't feel overwhelemed by the process, yet the page feels like
> it's responding very quickly to the user's input.

Thats exactly what its gonna be done, and right now im working on making
that happen. I was just waiting for some feedback on the workflow and to
get to know the javascript framework that should be used

Also if anyone see fit to add some other section/content let me know so
we cand discuss it and if its the case, work on it this week to have it
ready for the next websites meeting.