further get-fedora progress

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Sun May 4 15:04:41 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-05-03 at 18:33 -0400, Craig Thomas wrote:
> I have been working on the get fedora page and here is my progress thus far:
>
> http://craigt.fedorapeople.org/get-fedora-drafts/get-fedora
>
> I have some known issues, (some pesky radio buttons via jquery, and
> the 'un-sure' option), but I thought I'd call for comments and
> suggestions ahead of next weeks meeting?
>
> Thanks for comments,

This is looking really nice, IMHO.  A few small-ish comments and
suggestions (some of which may fall into "very nitpicky" :-)

1) Put the Desktop Live media above the DVD -- more and more this is
giving the "experience" that we think is going to be better for a new
user
2) Obviously the text isn't final, but it'd be good to have a link to
"how do I use this" with the DVD/live media descriptions.  That way, we
can ensure that people are aware of how to use the live media off of a
USB stick
3) "Not sure" pushing people to choosing at the direct download links
doesn't seem like it helps the user to make a decision
4) Do we want a link to the release notes and the install guide on the
page?  There's the generic docs link, but release notes and install
guide seem very relevant and putting them front and center could help to
guide new users
5) 32 bit vs 64 bit wording makes it seem like you can't run 32 bit on
newer Intel processors which isn't true.  Not sure how to better present
it, though :-/   Maybe just remove the "except..." bits from 32 bit and
still have 64 bit call out what it supports?
6) Do we want a link that's basically "Do an install over the network"
that just gets you to download boot.iso/netinst.iso?  On the one hand,
it's something more advanced users really like... on the other hand, the
advanced users are less likely to be the people using this page.  Also,
although we've put a fair bit of work into making this path "better" for
Fedora 9, Fedora 10 is when it's going to really rock.  So maybe we
should just hold off until then.

Jeremy