Top Ten Tasks For www.fedoraproject.org

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue May 13 00:24:08 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 01:41 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:

All looks pretty good to me.  Agreed that we want to make getting Fedora
front-and-center, as that is an expectation and a website needs to
fulfill some expectations.  Other cascades make sense, moving the reader
from getting something toward doing something.

Here is the one danger I found in the proposal:

> 2. Get access to support tailored for NEW users.
>
>     - Basic Info to make accessible as easily as possible:
>       - Common Bugs page - what are known issues and their workarounds
>       - How do I use the ISO I just downloaded? / Burning Media
>       - What is Live Media? Will it hurt my computer?
>       - How do I do a full install from Live Media? Dual Boot? (new
> users less likely to go full-on Fedora)
>       - How do I install new software on Fedora?
>       - How do I keep Fedora updated?
>       - How do I upgrade my older version of Fedora?
>       - Desktop User Guide?
>       - instructions for folks without network access (using yum without
> network)
>     - ACTION ITEM: Research:Ask #fedora folks what people ask for help
> with the most
>     - ACTION ITEM: Mock-up where a link to a page of newbie help
> information would be and what the page would look like, plus have an
> area for more advanced how to get help
>     - ACTION ITEM: Remove the need of the wiki for basic information and
> set it in fp.o (I'd like to see how the new wiki works organizationally too)

I don't think we want to move the content for end-users *away* from
where end user helpers can adjust and add to it.  We are just about to
get them easy wiki edit access!  This new(ish) direction for the wiki is
probably less clear because I haven't communicated outward these changes
in the Docs vision.

In the future, the wiki has two purposes:

A. Easy-to-edit project and SIG specific information from contributors,
for contributors, but useful to just readers.  Examples:  Features,
DocsProject, Marketing, Packaging.

Z. Easy-to-edit end user how-to, what-is content specific to Fedora from
anyone to anyone; focus on recruiting #fedora helpers to add here.
Examples:  SELinux, FedoraXenQuickstartFC6, HowTo/iPod, Bugs/Common.

Ownership of these areas is then specific to a group:

* Each SIG/functional project group is fully responsible for the care
and feeding of their content area, including making sure each page has
at least one steward watching over it.  For the most part, all this
happens under the A. purpose.

* End-user facing groups (Docs, RelEng, Websites, L10n, etc.) may keep
one or more pages in the flat namespace or by-category area by
topic/function.  These pages need to be owned by a SIG/group, with the
default owner being Docs.

* Anyone who comes to the site is invited to get an account and update
content at-will under the Z. purposed areas, but to tread gently or use
Talk: pages for the A. purposed areas.

* Page owners are in charge ultimately of managing the content,
including discussions in Talk: pages.

>     - ACTION ITEM: docs.fp.o is working on a user guide and an admin
> guide, find out what state that is in, and its home

Release of these is slipped a bit but still coming, the Fedora User
Guide first ASAP, and the Fedora Administration Guide to follow.
Installation Guide and Software Management Guide are two other useful
docs for this area.

- Karsten
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41