Suggestions

Joseph Izang joeizang at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Nov 6 06:15:29 UTC 2008

Hi y'all,

I am just a lowly linux user who boasts of Linux in a town in Nigeria where everyone just likes Windows but we are gradually turning everyone over to the fun side of computers. I am writing this mail as a means to vent my frustration at the fedora project. My first encounter with linux was with redhat linux 7.1 and I was so amazed by the finess i got and it was free. In those days things were flexible but refined with redhat and that was what attracted me to it not neccessarily the ease of use. There was documentation and resource to do what you wanted anytime. This lasted until fedora Core 3 then something went wrong somewhere. I don't know what but everything about fedora now is just frustrating. I have a personal liking for the distro as it's birthday (24th of September) is my birthday but it is just frustrating to use now. It's community is just a myth and doing stuff with it is just difficult for no reason. I started out with ubuntu since it cameout
 and ubuntu has only gotten better with every release. Ubuntu's community is just heavenly and you feel wanted when you are searching help.ubuntu.com or anything concerning it. I hope this is constructive cos it breaks my heart to see fedora doing nothing at making documentation easy to get and howto's available. Yum is sluggish and does not resolve dpendencies well, doing things on fedora feel like you have either 2 left hands or 2 right hands. Example I was trying to get chillispot freeradius apache mysql phpcake and hotcakes setup on fedora 9 and 8 and it was just forking up errors. I could not setup a tun0 interface for chillispot to use  and fedoraforums were as unfriendly as possible. rather i found insults being traded there at someone who was asking questions along this line. I decided to make a howto on this setup but found that no one even cared about doing this or contributing. These are my suggestions:
1. Fedora should have not just a wiki but documentation specific to fedora and not refer us to redhat's documentation. Makes users feel abandoned
2. Howto's are the real things that endears technologies to mid range IT guys and you will be shocked to know how many of these guys there are in the IT world today.
3. Follow ubuntu's lead in simplicity of tasks in the distro and clean up yum. Common guys it's gettings embarrassing using it. updates take forever and not everyone has broadband (using ubuntu's apt-get is so fast with just a decent connection)

LXF guys you guys ain't at fault at all but I would like you guys to make some tutorials based on fedora also ( server, networking etc) since the wonderful piece you did on fedora core 6 nothing else has come. I depend you guys for a lot of info on linux ( I have been buying LXF since 2003).
I hope you guys won't just delete this or not even read it but use it constructively. I am trying to setup a LUG in Nigeria and would welcome any useful tips or materials.

Thanks for reading this.