Suggestions

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Nov 10 23:46:18 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 06:15:29AM +0000, Joseph Izang wrote:

>  These are my suggestions:

Thank you for taking the time to write.  I hope you continue to keep
your eye on the project as we are actively working to improve some of
the areas you are talking about.

> 1. Fedora should have not just a wiki but
> documentation specific to fedora and not refer us to redhat's
> documentation. Makes users feel abandoned

http://docs.fedoraproject.org

We have some big missing parts between the wiki and
docs.fedoraproject.org.  We have some old content; much that is hard
to find with search; not enough categorization; and poor
cross-linking.

We can always use extra hands to help.  Right now, helping hands need
to be extra patient, as we are also fixing the new contributor
documentation.  If the Fedora documentation isn't greatly improved by
Fedora 11, you can hold myself and the rest of the team accountable.

> 2. Howto's are the real things that endears technologies to mid
> range IT guys and you will be shocked to know how many of these guys
> there are in the IT world today.

How-to documents do not appear out of thin air.  *Anyone* including
you can get a Fedora account and put up content on the wiki.

https://join.fedoraproject.org
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Help:Editing

> 3. Follow ubuntu's lead in
> simplicity of tasks in the distro and clean up yum. Common guys it's
> gettings embarrassing using it. updates take forever and not
> everyone has broadband (using ubuntu's apt-get is so fast with just
> a decent connection)

I don't really know about this.  While 'yum' used to be much slower
for various reasons, my understanding is that it currently is on par
with other dependency solvers.  I understand that is not your
experience, so don't know what to tell you.

- Karsten
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41