Raw E-Mail addresses at http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc//rpms/

Jon Stanley jonstanley at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 03:47:42 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 8:13 PM, Dan Yefimov <dan at nf15.lightwave.net.ru> wrote:
>                                Hello!
>        I found the site in the subject exposing raw e-mail addresses in
> plain text files. Because of that spammers can collect people's e-mail
> addresses with e-mail address harvesting spiders. I personally found one of my
> e-mail addresses at the above site via Google search. Please add e-mail address
> obfuscation there so that no raw E-Mail addresses will be shown. Obfuscation
> could be achieved, for example, by substituting '@' sign with ' at ' and '.'
> with ' dot '.

Dan -

The contents at that site are the raw contents of our CVS version
control system. If you are a Fedora package maintainer, perhaps you
included a non-obfuscated email address in a changelog or something.
You are free to obfuscate mail address in the changelogs of your
packages, although I don't personally, there are many ways my e-mail
could be obtained if someone wanted it :)

Obfuscating anything at the URL in the subject may break things, and
in any event would not be the complete corresponding source to a
binary build, therefore we would be prevented from doing so via the
GPL, I believe.