[Fwd: Re: Download confusion]

Ricky Zhou ricky at fedoraproject.org
Sat Apr 4 05:17:04 UTC 2009

On 2009-04-04 01:10:56 AM, Ricky Zhou wrote:
> Any idea exactly how people are being confused by the text
> "Intel-compatible PCs?"  Should we perhaps make this text larger and
> more noticable?  I don't know about most people, but I would personally
> be more confused/intimidated if presented with all of those processor
> names.
Actually, I just searched around the docs site a bit, and maybe we
should add a link to
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f10/en_US/sn-which-arch.html.

This has both the model names and types.  It still might be a bit
intimidating to many people though, since it attempts to list every
single possible case (I still find "Intel-compatible PC" to be a bit
easier to understand).

If users aren't sure which of i386 or x86_64 to choose, should we make
it clearer that i386 will work if they're not sure?

Thanks,
Ricky