Branching fedora-web for F12

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Fri Aug 14 21:03:26 UTC 2009

Hi everyone,

We're going to branch fedora-web for F12 momentarily.  That way we can
continue to work on getting things ready for the release without
having those changes live until release day.

What this means for those committing changes to the website:

* Changes that should not go live until F12 is released should be made
  on the master branch

* Changes intended to be live right now should be made on the f11
  branch (likely in addition to making them on master¹).

To create a local f11 branch which tracks the f11 branch in
fedora-web.git, use something like this:

    $ git co -t -b f11 origin/f11

If you're using git from F-11 or rawhide, that can be shortened to:

    $ git co -t origin/f11

(This is true for git >= 1.6.1.)

¹ Most changes made to the f11 branch should be easily merge-able to
  master, so make those changes on f11 and then merge into master.

Suppose I were a member of Congress, and suppose I were an idiot. But,
I repeat myself.
    -- Mark Twain