Fedora 12 download problems

Fred Yontz fred at ridersite.org
Sat Dec 19 17:58:17 UTC 2009

Dear Fedora Webmaster

First off, I'm not sure whether you are the appropriate person to
contact about the problem I'm having, and if I'm in the wrong place,
please excuse me.  I've looked at the lists of other places --- mailing
lists, forums, IRC, community websites --- and I have no idea where in
that collection I should turn.  So let me describe the problems I've
had, and please help me if you can, or point me to where I should have gone.

I downloaded the Fedora 12 Desktop Edition installable Live CDs for both
the standard (Gnome) and KDE versions, and the Live Media checksum files
for each.  To verify my downloads, I first used the SHA1 checksum
calculator in my EF Commander file manager, but the SHA1 checksums
didn't match those I downloaded.  So I followed your advice to download
and install HashCalc, and then used it to calculate the SHA1 hashes.
These results matched what I got from EF Commander, but not the
checksums on your Verify your ISO download
<https://fedoraproject.org/en/verify> web page.

For the standard (Gnome) Live CD download my computed SHA1 hash was
96b1e47a06f207aab3279731124a76c15810556a *Fedora-12-i686-Live.iso
while the downloaded Live Media i386
<https://fedoraproject.org/static/checksums/Fedora-12-i686-Live-CHECKSUM>
checksum file showed:

5ad27455df004ee23fbc5a05dfa039a14e59956dccf4e767d493601e0bfa4001
Fedora-12-i686-Live.iso

I tried a second download of the standard Live CD, and that gave me yet
another SHA1 hash:
daf4b3ea2322dfee9a473099557ac9ed7c6d3159 *Fedora-12-i686-Live.iso

For the KDE Live CD download my computed SHA1 hash was
8e22652cb697ee6f7ec9e77c1073749434a78e73 *Fedora-12-i686-Live-KDE.iso
while the downloaded Live Media i386 (KDE)
<https://fedoraproject.org/static/checksums/Fedora-12-i686-Live-KDE-CHECKSUM>
checksum file showed

1bb64a4eedecf4730b47fcbb6c17b49d6deaccf7b00b17dd7b1091af57cf1c1e
Fedora-12-i686-Live-KDE.iso

These SHA1 hashes, my computed and from your web site, aren't even the
same length, so I don't know what to think, whether I have bad
downloads, or there is some other problem about the verification
process.  I opened each in IsoBuster 2.6 to see if it reported any
errors, though I'm not sure whether IsoBuster has that ability.  Do you
have any suggestions, can you offer any advice?  Thank you.

Fred Yontz
Reston, VA