Introducing Myself

Simon Birtwistle simon at zikula.org
Sun Feb 1 11:24:26 UTC 2009

I sent this message to infrastructure and docs last week, but before joining
the websites team on FAS I thought I should forward it here:

All,

Having just requested access to the sysadmin and sysadmin-test groups on FAS
and on the advice of David Nalley I thought I should introduce myself.  I
have been working with the docs team over the last week on the possibility
of running the Zikula Application Framework as the CMS behind
docs.fedoraproject.org.  I am a member of the board of the Zikula Software
Foundation and the Zikula Steering Committee, and I have been acting as the
lead in discussions about how to best address the needs of the docs project
on their website, and the needs of the Fedora project at large.

My name is Simon Birtwistle, and I'm currently located in Cambridge in the
UK.  I am in the final year of studying for a degree in Computer Science at
Cambridge University, and providing all goes well I'll be graduating in
June.  I've used Fedora on and off for years and years, though despite
thinking about it I never got around to contributing.  Most of my time is
taken up with the Zikula project, where my work with the Steering Committee
involves project management and day to day organisation, but I'm hoping that
I can combine my work there with useful work on the Fedora websites where
it's helpful.

Skills wise, I am mainly a web developer, as you'd expect, with a good
knowledge of PHP and MySQL.  I also have experience with Java as well as C#
.NET and some other less well known languages from my degree course.  I have
also used Docbook in the past for Zikula project documentation, so I at
least have a vague idea where the docs project are coming from.

I'm hoping that I, and Zikula as a project, will be able to provide a big
boost to the docs project's publishing workflow.

Simon