Typo in Fedora CLA

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Mon Jan 26 23:16:40 UTC 2009

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 9:04 AM, Tom spot Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> >
> >> The issue with the typo is listed on this page:
> >>  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLegalIssues
> >>
> >> but it's been there for quite a while. Spot, any word on what we should
> >> do about this?
> >
> > Please just fix it. "atents" is not a word, so we do not have to worry about
> > the legal interpretations of making such a change.
>
> Could we check to see how this got this way... I don't remember it
> being atents before the mediawiki changeover.. but my memory could be
> fuzzy.

I took this as an opportunity to do an audit to see exactly when / how it
did get introduce.  It's been like that since June 25 2004 when the old
account system converted from using a straight fedora-icla.txt to the
fedora-icla-template.txt.  This particular defect was introduced when:

(including, but not limited to, related patents and trademarks)

Got changed to:

(including, but not limited to, related copyright, atents and trademarks)

Interestingly, the very first wiki CLA import I could find didn't contain
this typo so there must have been another canonical location it was taken
from:

http://fedoraproject.org/wikiold/Legal/Licenses/CLA?action=recall&rev=6

It may have been that Patrick saw and fixed it in this wiki initial
import.

Also interestingly is that during our FAS2 development, we pulled the bad
CLA.  But before deploying FAS2, the cla was actually fixed in FAS1 :)  So
it was actually correct for at least a short time before FAS2 got
deployed.

Anywho, as you can see, we have lots of auditing on stuff like this should
we ever need it :)  hope you enjoyed reading the brief timeline of the
creation of "atents" as I enjoyed investigating it!

	-Mike