Checksum validation instructions for Windows

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Fri Jul 10 14:46:17 UTC 2009

Hi Michał,

Michał Pecio wrote:
> There are instructions for ISO checksum validation on Windows
> available at
>
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/readme-burning-isos/en_US/sn-validating-files.html
>
> Maybe it would be a good idea to add link to Microsoft's own
> SHA1/MD5 calculator
> (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=B3C93558-31B7-47E2-A663-7365C1686C08).
> I've recently met a bit paranoid guy who complained on an Internet
> forum that he can't verify Fedora ISO checksum on his Windows system
> because your site doesn't provide any Windows utility for that and
> instead it only points to some 3rd party tools, which he doesn't
> trust.

From a quick look, it doesn't appear that the MS tool can verify
SHA-256 checksums, which is what Fedora 11 and newer use (the burning
ISOs document needs to be updated, the documentation team is aware of
and working on that).

It's rather unfortunate that there is such a lack of quality tools for
performing checksum verification available on the Windows platform.

I can understand someone being averse to trusting a third party
verification tool, but at the same time, if that person is running
Windows they most certainly have much more to worry about. :)

If you know of a reasonably trusted tool that can verify SHA-256
checksums on Windows, we'd be very interested to hear about it.

Reason obeys itself; and ignorance does whatever is dictated to it.
    -- Thomas Paine