Feedback gathered for fedoraproject.org and get.fedoraproject.org

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 16:28:08 UTC 2009

2009/7/11 Mel Chua <mel at redhat.com>:
> Thanks for pushing back and pointing out holes in my reasoning, btw - always
> good especially when it's 3:20am (...it's one of Those Nights when I can't
> sleep).
>
>> We really should just format the site differently - at the very least
>> have a different style sheet - to target this specifically if we decide
>> to support it. We don't officially now.
>
> Yay! wontfix, then. *docs at
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Websites/Heuristics#Screen_size*
>
>>> "some people will already come to fp.o knowing that they want to dl
>>> Fedora, even before taking the tour. Who are they?"
>>>
>>> * someone (I trust, possibly an Ambassador standing beside me) has
>>> already told me I should just download this "Fedora" thing and they'll help
>>> me get started
>>>
>>> * I do understand what I'd be getting; I already know what Fedora is and
>>> just need to grab an image file and am easily frustrated by Fitt's Law
>>>
>>> * some people blithely click on download links first, then figure out
>>> what they're getting afterwards. Not that it's a good idea, mind you... but
>>> I've watched enough people have this as almost a knee-jerk reaction to a
>>> webpage that... I mean, it happens.
>>
>> I agree with all of this, although i think the last two cases are far
>> less common than the first.
>
> I wonder if "IP addresses that have dl'd one of the prior Fedora releases
> before" vs "IP addresses that have not downloaded Fedora before" would be a
> useful differentiation metric for this - it's hard to tell who's actually
> arriving at the site for what. I'll have a chat with Ian (since he's doing
> similar work) about ways we might instrument things up better to get the
> kind of data these discussions should be based on... who else is into stats
> and metrics?
>
> --Mel

Oke, great feedback on the feedback (although i seem to miss feedback
on the bottom part right after: "Mixed from: UxerX and UserY (and
others)")...
So some thoughts on that would be nice.

Now for the feedback and what we do/won't do.. i suggest we use some
kind of system for that (MoSCoW)..
So, if we could all (Máirín, Mel, Hiemanshu and me) could all make a
MoSCow list of what we see as needed then discuss the lists in the
meeting next friday?
Just if you don't know what moscow is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MoSCoW_Method

note: every line from:
http://fedora.mageprojects.com/fedora_feedback_anonymized.txt is a
problem or a possible solution that the users saw. so every line
should come back in one of the moscow sections (not multiple!).

So in the end we end up with at least 4 lists with the following subjects:

Must have
----------------------
< your items here >

Could have
----------------------
< your items here >

Should have
< your items here >

Won't have
< your items here >

And if you ask me as soon as we know the "Must have" part we can
actually start to make something.
Let me know what you think of this idea.

Mark.