fedorahosted.org main page changes

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Thu Jul 23 15:19:21 UTC 2009

Hi Jorge,

Jorge Gallegos wrote:
> I am attaching the patch here, I couldn't fully test the patch with hosted
> projects (since I'm already half asleep) but a list of svn,git and mtn
> projects (pretty printed) is here http://kad.fedorapeople.org/projects.txt .

This does expose a mildly odd difference between the title and
description fields for trac versus non-trac projects (or maybe it's
only trac versus git?):

 'system-config-selinux': {'desc': 'Project system-config-selinux under git',
                           'group': 'S',
                           'title': 'system-config-selinux',
                           'url': 'http://git.fedoraproject.org/git/system-config-selinux.git'},
 'system-config-services': {'desc': u'system-config-services',
                            'group': 'S',
                            'title': u'My example project',
                            'url': 'https://fedorahosted.org/system-config-services/',
                            'vcs': 'git',
                            'vcsbase': 'system-config-services.git',
                            'vcsweburl': 'https://fedorahosted.org/system-config-services/browser'},

I didn't look closely, but I'd noticed that trac projects get setup
with 'My example project' as the title by default.  It might be handy
if we could set that at creation time to be the project short
description perhaps -- though I'm not sure where exactly that title
field gets displayed.

Another thing that might be worth doing is using the description file
for git repos.  I have no idea if other SCM's have something similar.
(If not, we can likely add a description file to them just as git
uses.)

As an example, lorax.git has the description 'Install images creation
tool'.  I think that is more descriptive than 'Project lorax under
git'.  There are likely some git repos with a default description
file, where we'd want to fallback to a more generic '%s project' or
something -- or maybe just fix all of these projects with incomplete
description files.

Anyway, enough rambling.  Thanks for working on this ticket Jorge.

The most useful piece of learning for the uses of life is to unlearn
what is untrue.
    -- Antisthenes