[Fedora Women] how do I update a driver

Kathryn Hogg kjh at flyballdogs.com
Sun Sep 10 15:11:06 UTC 2006

Alexa Pongracz wrote:
> I am new to the new linux and have scrambled around and still cannot
> discern how to install a driver or get to the command or shell? I am
> using the gnome interface must I switch to kde.

Getting to a shell window:
On your gnome menu: activate Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal Window

Drivers:  What kind of driver are you installing?  I'd first find out if
there is a prebuild driver available.  If not and you want to compile
yourself, the first think you need to do is install the kernel development
package which you can do via yum:

$ yum install kernel-devel
or
$ yum install kernel-smp-devel

depending on which kernel flavor you are running.

Once the kernel devel is installed, you should be able to compile your
driver according to its instructs.  If the package includes a spec file, I
like to build an rpm and install that.  We want to compile rpms in user
space, not as root so we'll install the rpmdevtools:

# as root
$ yum install rpmdevtools

# as yourself
$ fedora-buildrpmtree

This is will create ~/rpmbuild/{BUILD,RPMS,SOURCES,SPECS,SRPMS}
Now you can run rpmbuild and then install the rpm that will saved in
~/rpmbuild/RPMS/$arch

If the driver source doesn't have a spec file, it should include a readme
file telling you how to compile it (usually something like ./configure &&
make && make install)

--
Kathryn
http://womensfooty.com