[Fedora-xen] FC5/Xen -> Running other OS as Guest within FC5

Srinivasan S ssrini at linuxmail.org
Mon Apr 17 06:22:20 UTC 2006

Hi Folks,

I have FC5 installed with Xen 3.x from the official xensource.com tarball.  The dom0 boots perfectly.  I have a multiboot system with FC5 installed on /dev/sda6, OpenSUSE installed on /dev/hdc3 and Ubuntu on /dev/hdc1.

Goal: I am trying to get Ubuntu and Suse to run within my FC5/Xen box. (I had this working earlier in FC4 and Xen 2.x without issues)

The configuration file I use is : /etc/xen/suseguest (contents)

kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16-xen"
memory = 100
name = "suseguest"
vif= ['mac=aa:00:10:00:00:10, bridge=xenbr0, ip=192.168.2.2']
gateway = "192.168.1.1"
netmask = "255.255.255.0"
disk = ['file:/dev/hdc3,hdc3,w']
root = "/dev/hdc3 rw"

(As a variation to the above I also tried vif=[''] etc with no avail)

On running /usr/sbin/xm create -c /etc/xen/suseguest I get a number of errors
on module load that modules.dep file is not found etc .. However the boot
process continues uninterrupted and Iam finally provided the terminal login
prompt.  Iam also able to successfully login.

After logging in, however an ifconfig reveals that the virtual if
192.168.2.2 is not setup .. only loopback is enabled (127.x.x.x) ..

I tried ubuntuguest (same config as above, disk is /dev/hdc1) but with the same
result.

(To remove the modules.dep problem, I also copied the files from my FC5 /lib/modules/2.6.16-xen/ folder to Suse and tried, no errors but networking still does not work)

The dom0 ifconfig reveals that the bridge and peth0 etc are all setup properly.
All help to get this "networking issue" resolved is appreciated.

Regards
Srini