[Fedora-xen] xenguest-install problem with 08/28 build

Mark Wisner markwiz at us.ibm.com
Mon Aug 28 14:39:14 UTC 2006

I am seeing the following failure while doing a xenguest-install.

What is the name of your virtual machine? vm1
 How much RAM should be allocated (in megabytes)? 512
 What would you like to use as the disk (path)? /var/xen/vm1/hda
 How large would you like the disk to be (in gigabytes)? 5
 What is the install location?
http://porkchop.redhat.com/nightly/rawhide-latest/tree-i386/

Starting install...
libvir: Xen Daemon error : GET operation failed: No such domain vm1
libvir: Xen Daemon error : POST operation failed: No such domain vm1
Failed to get devices for domain vm1
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/sbin/xenguest-install", line 237, in ?
    main()
  File "/usr/sbin/xenguest-install", line 229, in main
    r = guest.start_install(True)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/xeninst/ParaVirtGuest.py", line
183, in start_install
    self.domain = conn.createLinux(cxml, 0)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 249, in
createLinux
    if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virDomainCreateLinux() failed')
libvirt.libvirtError: virDomainCreateLinux() failed

I did a clean  install with the 08/28 build.

Kernel is 2.6.17-1.2586.fc6xen.

I am running on an IBM x335 with 1.5 GB or Ram and a 32GB SCSI drive.

I also see a failure while running virt-manager but that could be a user
problem. I am still investigating it.

Mark K. Wisner
Advisory Software Engineer
IBM Linux Technology Center