[Fedora-xen] What's the Pre-requisites for virt-manager

Henry Zhang Hua.Zhang at Sun.COM
Tue Dec 12 17:41:01 UTC 2006

Hi Dan,

Daniel P. Berrange 写道:
> On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 12:58:53AM +0800, Henry Zhang wrote:
>> Hi Dan,
>>
>> From Fedora site
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Beats/Virtualization?highlight=%28xenguest-install%29
>>
>> I find several information, I am sure if they are correct:
>>
>> 1, "Integrated graphical framebuffer. Both the GUI installer and the
>> guest operating system's graphical environment can be accessed from
>> virt-manager without the need for VNC."
>> As I remembered, you told me when we double-click any DomU, we will
>> start a graphic console, this console just use virt-manmager embedded
>> vnc-viewer to access DomU, so need vnc connection. Also I know when
>> install a guest domain, there also will appear a vnc-viewer for install OS.
>> But from the above explanation, seems we never use vnc any more?
>
> What this means is that virt-manager implements the VNC protocol directly
> itself, so there is no need for a separate vncviewer program. The VNC
> code is all in the src/vncViewer directory.
Ah, I see...

>> 2,"CPU and memory management. The vCPUs and memory of active guest
>> operating systems can be adjusted on the fly."
>> From your website http://virt-manager.et.redhat.com/screenshots.html, I
>> can see "Most of this dialog is currently non-functional. Compare with a
>> scan of the design mockup" under "Virtual machine configuration", when I
>> tried, seems it's true most of them can't work, so who is wrong?
>
> Actually the VCPU & memory adjustment is functional now - within certain
> constraints. Paravirt guests can have memory & VCPUs adjusted. Fullyvirt
> guests cannot have any adjustments. For guests which are not currently
> running (ie inactive), memory, max-memory & VCPUs can be adjusted. Hotplug
> of disks & nics is not yet implemented for anything.
I hacked a virt-manager, and it can run at Solaris now, I do a test,
yes, you are right.

Seems here I have to add another question. :)
3, From http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraXenQuickstartFC6, I can see
"Installation must be a network type. It is not possible to install from
a local disk or CDROM. " is it true? As I remember virt-manager will get
CDROM list for HVM install, can this feature run now? I have no this
type of machine to test HVM.

BTW, when we create a new DomU, and not use virt-manager, what command
line we can use? by now I only know virt-install, can xm or virsh create
a DomU from zero?