[Fedora-xen] console only on fedora?

I just successfully got a paravirtualized openSUSE 10.2 system
running as a guest under Fedora Core 6 (x86_64 all around).

I did it by installing suse in native mode, then editing
the /boot/grub/menu.1st file to boot the xen kernel by default,
then tweaking the config file I had laying around from a
previous test to define the physical disk partitions the
same way in the guest as they are in the host.

This all worked (much to my amazement :-), but when I try
to open the console from virt-manager, it tells me
"Console not available".

Is the console implemented by some special kernel module I
probably don't have in the suse xen kernel? Just trying to
learn how all this stuff fits together...
(Not really a critical bit since I can access the guest
just fine via the network).