[Fedora-xen] Getting Fedora yum-installed domU running on fedora with fedora-xen packages

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Tue Dec 19 11:06:42 UTC 2006

Hi Tom,

On 12/18/06, Tom Horsley <tomhorsley at adelphia.net> wrote:
> [...]
> Not on my system at work. We installed a 32 bit hvm FC6 on a physical
> disk via virt-manager, and it worked fine under x86_64 dom0 (also
> FC6). I did manage to screw it up somehow trying to get the kernel
> updated, but it was working great before that :-).

Seems I did not explain correctly what I meant.

With what you do, HVM Installs take place exactly not into partitions
you defined from the outside, but into a block devices, and the hvm
system then does full partitioning inside this.

What I mean what fedora kernels have problems with is when pointing
the disk config directly onto a partition created from outside the
domU.

An example:

In your setup you probably have a disk config line like this;

disk=[ 'phy:/dev/hdb1,hda,w']

What I mean is a setup that look like this:

disk = [ 'phy:/dev/hdb1,hda1,w']

where I create the ext3 filesystem from the dom0. These are mostly
used with paravirtual systems, because on hvm you just use isos. But
as I already said, these things can be handled by making a special
initrd... Still, a Debian guest won't work, but works with no problem
with a Kernel from xensource.

Henning