[Fedora-xen] kernel-xen-guest-2.6.15-1.1955_FC5 seems to eat filesystems

Steven Pritchard steve at silug.org
Mon Feb 20 20:05:00 UTC 2006

On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 02:53:24PM -0500, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> Is there any log on the dom0 corresponding to this error?

None.

> I suspect that this may simply be an artifact of the domU ABI changing
> prior to the final release of Xen-3.0.0.  The upstream XenSource guest
> OS ABI was still in flux prior to 3.0.0, so there's really no guarantee
> that can be made to support running older kernels.  If you have the domU
> running out of a chroot, can you use that to update its kernel to a
> rawhide guest kernel/initrd and see if that helps?

Already done.  I was running 2.6.15-1.1955_FC5hypervisor on the host,
and 2.6.15-1.1955_FC5guest for the guest.

BTW, it would be helpful if the Requires for the Xen guest kernels
were trimmed a bit so the newer kernels could be installed on older
(FC4, for example) guests.  Rather than install the kernel-xen-guest
rpm, I just used --with=xennet when I created the initrd so the guest
would have networking.  I can't think of any other modules not already
loaded in the initrd that would be absolutely required for the guest.

Steve
--
Steven Pritchard - K&S Pritchard Enterprises, Inc.
Email: steve at kspei.com             http://www.kspei.com/