[Fedora-xen] Best Practice for backing up running Virtual Machines

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Tue May 16 18:01:48 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 16 May 2006 05:30am, Ignacio Verona wrote:
> And how do I manage to take snapshots of VM's not based on LVM? I mean,
> I have 3 VM's on my System, on three files under a /xenM directory. Is
> there any easy way I can do backups of the running virtual machines?

Convert to using LVM; then it'll be easy.

Without converting, use backup software designed to deal with active
filesystems.  That probably means running the backup software underneath of
each virtual machine.

LVM is a much better choice.  Not just for backups, but it also makes it
easier to manage your storage.

> Thanks a lot!

HTH.
--