[Fedora-xen] Document the lomount utility from Xen

Aleksander Adamowski aleksander.adamowski.redhat at altkom.com.pl
Tue May 16 20:30:21 UTC 2006

Hi!

When trying to repair a messed up guest domain's disk image in FC5, I've
discovered a very usefule but undocumented utility from the Xen RPM:

# lomount
You must specify -diskimage and -partition
ex. lomount -t fs-type -diskimage hda.img -partition 1 /mnt

Since the disk images created with xenguest-install.py are images of
whole disk (including the partition table, MBR etc.), they can't simply
be mounted like in the Xen official documentation.

This tool parses the partition table and allows to mount a chosen
partition from such a disk image. It automatically computes the needed
"offset" mount option.

Using lomount I have successfully repaired the guest domain.

I think lomount should be documented in the Wiki
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraXenQuickstartFC5).

If you want, I can write that hint over there myself - just give me edit
permissions in the Wiki (user: AleksanderAdamowski).

--
Best Regards,
    Aleksander Adamowski