[Fedora-xen] FW: [IA64]We have successfully booted dom0/domU/domVTI (xen/ia64) on FC5

Aron Griffis aron at hp.com
Fri May 26 12:51:05 UTC 2006

Zhang, Xiantao wrote:  [Fri May 26 2006, 04:30:12AM EDT]
> 	After some hard debug and work around, now we've got xen/ia64 dom0/domU/domVTI both up on FC5-IA64. Attached is the snapshot.

Woohoo!  :-)

> 	We still use python2.4.2 contained in FC5 for test.
>
> 	We need following changes to make things happen:
>
> 	- xen-tools is not built and integrated into the RPM package.
> 	Typically we know there're 3 major directories on
> 	xen-ia64-unstable.hg: xen,linux-sparse and tools. All three
> 	need to be kept consistence with each other. However current
> 	fedora-kernel-ia64 only incorporates former two and tools is
> 	totally missed. We tried to build the tools individually from
> 	xen-ia64-unstable under same Rev (10150), and then install to
> 	target box manually.

You need to install the xen rpm which is available from my yum
repository.  See here for instructions:

    https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-xen/2006-May/msg00140.html

> 	- The configuration files for dom0/domU seems a big difference
> 	compared to xen-ia64-unstable.hg. (Why?) Currently the ext3 is
> 	compiled as module, however initrd doesn't work for domU even
> 	when we add "ramdisk=" in config file. So we change ext3 to be
> 	kernel built-in, and then domU can boot up immediately.

Ok, I'll fix that in the rpm.

> 	- Xen-ia64-unstable.hg doesn't have IDE devices configured for
> 	domU, however fedora-kernel-ia64 does, which wastes much time
> 	for probe. If the configuration file can be kept consistence
> 	with xen-ia64-unstable.hg, above issues are gone.

That's my mistake too.  I'll fix it.

> 	After above 2 changes, both domU and domVTI can be boot successfully.
>
> 	Following are other tricky issues we've observed:
> 	- brctl package is not integrated into FC5 and so vnif is not
> 	available now. People need to install brctl manually and we'll
> 	try network later. Is it possible to add dependency check upon
> 	brctl in spec file?

The dependency is in the xen rpm...

> 	- When installing xen0 rpm package, it depends on xen rpm
> 	package. However we didn't find the xen rpm package, and had
> 	to install with "nodeps". Actually xen image has been included
> 	in xen0 rpm package.

This is a confusing misnomer in Fedora.  The xen rpm contains the xen
tools, not the xen hypervisor.  Does this make things clearer?

> 	- Is it possible to use same configuration file for xen0/xenU
> 	just like current xen-ia64-unstable.hg? Or at least give
> 	a configuration option to user in spec.

Right now the build follows the pattern of the other architectures in
the spec file.  If Juan is interested in pursuing a -xen kernel
instead of -xen0/-xenU, I'd be happy to go that route.

Thanks for sending this great news.

Regards,
Aron