[Fedora-xen] enlarge file backed filesystem

Andrew Cathrow acathrow at redhat.com
Tue Nov 7 14:16:56 UTC 2006

Ouch,
It's possible but not nice.

Obviously the first step is to back up your existing file before you try
any of this ....

First step is you need to enlarge the file itself.
Use dd to to this for example
dd if=/dev/zero of=myImage.img seek=***** bs=1M count=1

The seek value should be big enough to seek past the current data so we
don't overwrite anything - so for example make it a 2gb past the end of
the file.
You now have a larger sparse file.
At this point you have a larger disk but your partition table is out of
whack.
So you need to use a tool like parted/gparted to change the partition
table. You can also use fdisk if you're feeling brave.
These tools won't work directly on a file, so you'll need to create a
block device for that image, you can use kpartx for this, see the link
below
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraXenQuickstartFC6#head-9c5408e750e8184aece3efe822be0ef6dd1871cd

When you've enlarged the partition to the correct size then you'll need
to resize the ntfs file system - for this you'll need ntfsresize.
http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html

Good luck, don't forget the backup !

Aic