[Fedora-xen] virt-manager make check errors and connection errors

Dan B. Phung phung at cs.columbia.edu
Thu Nov 9 21:39:27 UTC 2006

I'm using virt-manager-0.2.5 on a Debian system.  I installed these
packages per the prerequisites using aptitude:
aptitude install python-gtk2 python-gtk2-dev python-gnome2
python-gnome2-dev python-dbus  python-vte python-glade2 python-urlgrabber

I installed libvirt from the cvs sources and I aliened and installed
python-virtinst-0.96.0-1.noarch.rpm.

'make check' for virt-manager complained about some rhpl exceptions, so
I commented out these lines.

src/virtManager/create.py
- from rhpl.exception import installExceptionHandler
- from rhpl.translate import _, N_, textdomain, utf8

the 'make check' didn't seem to complain afterwards...but this could be
where I screwed things up :)

So I do a 'make install' and try running it and try to connect to the
local Xen host and get:
  Unable to open a connection to the Xen hypervisor/daemon.

  Verify that:
   - A Xen host kernel was booted
   - The Xen service has been started

I have verified that I'm booted in Xen and that xend has been started.

here's my log:
blade06:~:) cat .virt-manager/virt-manager.log
Thu, 09 Nov 2006 16:42:16 WARNING  No support for gnome-keyring
Thu, 09 Nov 2006 16:42:16 WARNING  Could not connection to session bus,
disabling DBus service exceptions.RuntimeError DBus session/starter bus
address not defined
Thu, 09 Nov 2006 16:42:34 ERROR    Unable to open connection to
hypervisor URI 'xen': libvirt.libvirtError virConnectOpenReadOnly()
failed no support for hypervisor

can someone point out the err in my ways?
-dan