[Fedora-xen] Can't allocate memory (12)

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Nov 22 12:12:27 UTC 2006

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 11:40:57PM -0800, Barrow H Kwan wrote:

> This happen when I tried to create a Windows Guest.  After few days of
> struggling, I just found out Domain-0 has been assigned 99% of the physical
> memory "BY DEFAUT".   I am wondering
>
> 1. Why does Fedora assign 99% to all phsical memory to Domain-0 ?

Dom0 gets essentially 100% of all memory at boot time. XenD will use the
balloon driver to take memory away from Dom0 when it is needed to launch
a new guest. Of course this relies on you not actively using that memory
in Dom0 but in general it just works. If balooning were failing though
you would see a different error - one saying it was unable to balloon
down the dom0. The 'cannot allocate memory' error suggests a more
fundamental problem.

> 2. Why does this memory allocation error happen with the Windows Guest?

Running 'xm dmesg' shortly after creating the guest may be helpful
in tracking down actual errors.

Regards,
Dan.