[Fedora-xen] renaming vg for lvm backed domU

Robert Story rstory-l at 2006.revelstone.com
Thu Nov 23 21:56:44 UTC 2006

Hi,

I've got a FC5 dom0 where I've created a lvm backed domU I want to use as a
template. The domU works fine. If I create a new lv in the dom0 and dd the
orginal lv over to the new one, copy the xen conf file, update the path and
mac addr, the domU clone boots fine too.

However, I want the domU vg name to be different in the new domU. So, I used
kpartx to get to the new vg, and used vgrename to rename it. This works great
in the dom0, and I can get to all the lv's. However, when I try to reboot the
domU (after updating it's grub.conf and fstab, deleting it's /etc/lvm/cache,
and renaming the files and vg name in /etc/lvm/(backup|archive)/*), something
is still looking for the old vg name.

On boot, I see:

Kernel command line:  ro root=/dev/new/root s

device-mapper: ioctl: 4.7.0-ioctl (2006-06-24) initialised: dm-devel at redhat.com
Making device-mapper control node
Scanning logical volumes
  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
  Found volume group "new" using metadata type lvm2
Activating logical volumes
  Unable to find volume group "old"
Creating root device.
Mounting root filesystem.
mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
Setting up other filesystems.
Setting up new root fs
setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults
setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory
Switching to new root and running init.
unmounting old /dev
unmounting old /proc
unmounting old /sys
switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory

In dom0:

# kpartx -a /dev/vm/new
# pvscan
  PV /dev/dm-15   VG new         lvm2 [9.88 GB / 1.94 GB free]
# lvscan
  inactive          '/dev/new/root' [1.00 GB] inherit
  inactive          '/dev/new/usr' [5.94 GB] inherit
  inactive          '/dev/new/swap' [1.00 GB] inherit

I mounted /dev/new/root and did a find 'etc -type f|xargs grep old', and
couldn't find any files that still referenced the 'old' vg. Anyone have any
idea what I'm missing?