[Fedora-xen] Problem assigning a usb or pci port to a domU

Pascal Parrot pascal_parrot at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 14 01:30:11 UTC 2006

Atsushi-san,
I tried to re compile the kernel but I ran into problems. In other words, I
could not make it work. So I reverted back to the idea of loading the kernel
xen0 in the domU instead of compiling a new version of xenU.
I think I was able to pass the pci and usb to the domU by doing the
following:
1) dom0: install a guest with xenguest-install.py.
2) dom0: Start the guest and log in the guest.
3) domU: Then install kernel-xen0 "yum install xen kernel-xen0".
4) domU: Still in the guest, create a initrd file "mkinitrd --with=xennet
--preload=xenblk /boot/initrd-2.6.17-1.2187_FC5xen0-test.img
2.6.17-1.2187_FC5xen0" as explained in
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Fedora5Xen0DomU.
Once this file is created, modify the guest /etc/grub.conf xen0 initrd entry
with the file that was newly created.
5) dom0: Modify /etc/modprobe.conf in dom0 as described in
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Assign_hardware_to_DomU_with_PCIBack_as_module
option 2)
6) dom0: The configuration file of the domU uses the option
bootloader="/usr/bin/pygrub" (no kernel parameter, no ramdisk parameter) and
specifies the parameter "pci = [ <add the lsusb or lspci values> ]".
7) domU: Reload the dom0 and select the xen0 kernel. The usb and pci should
be seen in the domU

I have not tested the devices but at least they are now showing up in the
guest domain when I do a lspci or lsusb. Also, I made a lot of changes
trying to make this work so hopefully, the steps above are complete and
accurate.

Best regards,
Pascal