[Fedora-xen] netloop

Pasi Kärkkäinen pasik at iki.fi
Sat Apr 14 17:26:16 UTC 2007

On Sat, Apr 14, 2007 at 12:18:26AM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 01:52:46PM -0700, Curtis Doty wrote:
> > Am I going about this wrong? It's quite trivial to deadlock the Fedora
> > kernel.
> >
> > # modprobe netloop ; rmmod netloop
> > unregister_netdevice: waiting for veth3 to become free. Usage count = 1
> > unregister_netdevice: waiting for veth3 to become free. Usage count = 1
> > unregister_netdevice: waiting for veth3 to become free. Usage count = 1
> >
> > This is without doing anything else with xend or the other modules. So
> > why/who/what grabbed a hold of that veth?
>
> This is basically a limitation of the netloop module - its not written to
> allow its removal once loaded. Fortunately we don't need to worry about
> fixing this, because in the very near future we will be blasting netloop
> into oblivion :-)  This will make networking in Dom0 much simpler because
> you won't have this crazy set of extra devices for Dom0 - just the real
> eth*, the bridge device & any VIFs for guest VMs.

Can you tell more about this? Redhat is planning not to use the xen
network-bridge script anymore and allow more flexible configuration with
the tools provided by the distro?

What does "in the very near future" mean.. ? for fc7? fc8?

I'm interested in this because I've made my own scripts for use in dom0
instead of xen network-bridge.. kind of "add-on" scripts for standard fedora
network scripts.

Thanks!

-- Pasi