[Fedora-xen] Benchmarking Report (Xen Virtualiztion , Para vs Fully)

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Apr 16 03:11:13 UTC 2007

On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 06:28:10PM -0700, Curtis Doty wrote:
> 8:33pm Daniel P. Berrange said:
> >
> >The pure-compute results look reasonable, but I don't believe those
> >results for
> >Disk I/O in fully-virt for a second - Section 6, Disk I/O Unixbench is the
> >exact
> >opposite of expectation - were results flipped?.  Based knowledge of the
> >architecture
> >

> And is it even fair to compare tap:aio: to file: disks without even a
> mention of the technical difference?

It is as fair as you'll get for file-backed VMs. 'file:' for fully-virt
doesn't have the same disadvantages / problems that 'file:' does for
paravirt, since its actually better to compare 'tap:aio:' for PV with
'file:' for FV that to compare 'file:' with PV with 'file:' for FV.

It would certainly be worth doing 2 sets of disk I/O tests though, one
with file backed disks, and the other with raw partition / LVM backed
disks.

Dan.