[Fedora-xen] ANNOUNCE: Virt-top 0.3.1.5 - a top-like utility for displaying virtualization stats

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Aug 20 12:38:53 UTC 2007

Andy Burns wrote:
> On 09/08/07, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> There is a significantly updated version of virt-top now available.  On
>> systems which support it, you can show the mapping of domains to
>> physical CPUs and the amount of each physical CPU being used.
>
> I downloaded the binary 64bit version and ran it on a fedora 7 xen
> host without any problems, the host is a dual-core xeon andnoticed
> the CPU% reporting works differently compared to xentop, I assume this
> is deliberate?

Thanks for trying this!  I was on holiday last week, hence the late reply.

> virt-top seems to report each domain's usage as a percentage of all
> the sum of all CPUs, where xentop seems to report the percentages in
> terms of a single CPU.
>
> e.g. on xentop may show dom0 taking 102% and my domU taking 24%, while
> virt-top will shows this as 51% and 12% respectively, which seems more
> logical.

Yes, this is deliberate.  We wanted to make it work like virt-manager
and plain top.  Notice that xentop is the exception in this regard.

Rich.

PS: I will be making available proper binaries for RHEL, Fedora, CentOS
and Debian, i386 & x86-64, this week.