[Fedora-xen] HVM Performance and PV drivers

Jim Klein jklein at saugus.k12.ca.us
Fri Feb 9 05:40:50 UTC 2007

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 11:26am, Lamont Peterson wrote:
> I don't believe that you can do this.
>
>But, I'm wondering what OS you're trying to run on the HVM DomU. If it's
>Linux, use a paravirtualized DomU. You'll get much better performance
>(especially on things like I/O).
>
>HVM adds some emulation overhead and, thus, is slower than PV. HVM is only
>necessary to run an OS for which no paravirtualized kernel is available.
>--
>Lamont Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
>Senior Instructor
>Guru Labs, L.C. [ http://www.GuruLabs.com/ ]

All my Linux guests are PV (been running Xen in production for 7 months - far longer in testing.) I'm talking about Windows guests, which is why I would need PV drivers to work. Am running 64bit Dom0 to alleviate some of the pain, but I/O is still too slow for anything but lightweight applications. We're a RHEL shop, so would prefer to use RHEL as a base over XenSource Commercial, but it looks like I may have to go that route if noone else is working on PV drivers for Windows guests.

--
Jim Klein
Director Information Services & Technology

"Finis Origine Pendet"