[Fedora-xen] Guest install very slow

Adrian Revill adrian.revill at shazamteam.net
Mon Feb 19 11:19:42 UTC 2007

Hi,
I have just done a clean install of FC6 with visualization on a single
cpu box (AMD 1.7+XP 1.5G ram)
The performance of the box running FC6 is fine, all the windows and
menus open quickly and smoothly.

I followed the FedoraXenQuickstartFC6 and all seems to work perfectly
except the guest seems to run very slowly.
The Virtual machine manager shows about 0.1% cpu use for the new guest
and Domain-0 stays about 4%

I have extracted the FC6 isos onto the same box and created a nfs mount
point for the source.
I am using /var/lib/xen/images/testOne as the directory for the disk
path with a 3G limit
I set 512Mb ram and 1CPU

The boot seems quite quick, and anaconda starts, all the selection of
the language and keyboard seems ok too.

Then it sits for about 15mins with Running Anaconda at the bottom of the
screen, then starts the x window. It takes about 1/2 hr for a X cursor
to appear, that will follow mouse movement, but takes a couple of
seconds to catch up.
I  never have seen anything more. Just a black window, even after
leaving it all weekend.

when i run virsh list it always says the testOne domain is blocked.

I have looked in all the log files and the console, but there are no errors.

Anyone got any ideas? as i guess its not meant to be this slow.