[Fedora-xen] Running Xen on low spec single CPU

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Feb 26 23:02:44 UTC 2007

Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 26, 2007, Adrian Revill wrote:
>> Hi Adrian,
>>
>> Thx for the reply, gives me hope. As you can guess im new to Xen.
>>
>> So how do you install the os into the DomU?
>> If i was installing from cd i could use linux text expert, but i cant
>> see how to give the option to the Dom install.
>
> I bootstrap Debian/ubuntu in a fresh jail using debootstrap inside the
> install root. I dump that into a freshly made LVM partition and boot
> the DomU up, then finish configuring it that way.
>
> Its not that simple. :) I'm pretty sure there's a much nicer way
> to bootstrap Fedora DomU's and hopefully one of the Fedora-Savvy people
> 'ere will point it out.

Debian/Ubuntu has some nice scripts for creating VMs (a little buggy at
present though).

It writes the xen config file, and (according to its docs) can create
Ubuntu, Debian and Fedora guests, is extensible. It has the option of
running debootstrap (for Debian/ubuntu), rpmstrap (for RPM-based
systems), creating the system from an exising directory tree, from a
tarball.

With the right incantation, you can go from raw materials to a running
guest in one command.

SUSE's Yast cam also create guests; I have a SLES guest on my laptop
(openSUSE 10.2 host) created with Yast.

--

Cheers
John