[Fedora-xen] DomU boot on Fedora 6 fails with 'no root found' error.

Ligesh ligesh at lxlabs.com
Wed Jan 31 13:58:25 UTC 2007

 I am trying to get Xen running on Fedora 6, which I thought would be easy, but I guess not. I am using the standard image from jailtime.org and my domU configuration file is below. I am using the same kernel of the host itself.

------------
 kernel     = '/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.19-1.2895.fc6xen'
 ramdisk    = '/boot/initrd-2.6.19-1.2895.fc6xen.img'
 memory     = 512
 name       = 'test.vm'
 vif        = ['vifname=vif-test0,  mac=aa:00:f6:f4:06:1a']
 vnc        = 0
 vncviewer  = 0
 serial     = 'pty'
 disk       = ['file:/home/test.vm//root.img,sda1,w', 'file:/home/test.vm//vm.swap,sda2,w']
 root = '/dev/sda1 ro'
 ------------------

-------------------
 Making device-mapper control node
 Scanning logical volumes
   Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
     No volume groups found
	 Activating logical volumes
	   Volume group "VolGroup00" not found
	   Creating root device.
	   Mounting root filesystem.
	   mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
	   Setting up other filesystems.
	   Setting up new root fs
	   setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
	   no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults
	   setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
	   setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory
	   Switching to new root and running init.
	   unmounting old /dev
	   unmounting old /proc
	   unmounting old /sys
	   switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory

The above is the error I got. It seems the initrd is searching for volGroup00, which is how the '/' of the HOST is mounted, but I have explicitly given 'root =' in the config file. So I am confused.  Is there anyone here who has experienced this beforehand?

 Thanks in advance.