[Fedora-xen] virsh and virt-install examples

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Jul 12 18:26:40 UTC 2007

Thomas Antony wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running F7 x86_64 with Xen 3.1 and need some advice.
> I would be really happy if someone give me an example for adding a cdrom
> (a iso file) to a (running) domain with virsh and install Windows Server
> 2003 on a lvm lg with virt-install.

Thomas,

As long as your F7 is up to date, you should have a "virsh
attach-device" command.  Usage is along these lines:

   cat > cdrom.xml
     <disk type='file' device='cdrom'>
       <source file='my-cdrom.iso'/>
       <target dev='hdc'/>
       <readonly/>
     </disk>
   ^D

   virsh attach-device DOM cdrom.xml

For virt-install I suggest reading the manpage.  It has a million
complicated options that you have to get right, and I've never installed
W2K3 :-(  But the manpage has some examples (although unfortunately not
of a Windows install).

Rich.