[Fedora-xen] F7 and xenstore

Jim Klein jklein at saugus.k12.ca.us
Fri Jun 1 21:35:06 UTC 2007

Ick. Thanks for your help!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange at redhat.com>
To: "Jim Klein" <jklein at saugus.k12.ca.us>
Cc: "fedora-xen" <fedora-xen at redhat.com>
Sent: Friday, June 1, 2007 2:30:24 PM (GMT-0800) America/Los_Angeles
Subject: Re: [Fedora-xen] F7 and xenstore

On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 02:20:00PM -0700, Jim Klein wrote:
> Is all the configuration for domu's now in xenstore? If so, then is
> there an easier way to manage it than the xenstore commands?
> /var/lib/xend/domains appears to contain config files, listed by uuid,
> but changes are ignored. What are the steps to edit a domain's
> configuration? Thanks in advance.

No, they're no kept in xenstore. The /var/lib/xend/domains directory is
the location XenD uses for persistent storage of guest domain configs.
It is in /var because it is not user editable - changes you make there
will be ignored and/or overwritten by XenD at will. Not ideal, but that's
just what upstream Xen decided to do...

Thus we recommend using libvirt's virsh command for changing the config

1. Get dump of the existing config

virsh dumpxml [guest name] > guest.xml

2. Edit it in vi/emacs

vi guest.xml

3. Feed it back into Xend

virsh define guest.xml

For a description of various XML elements/attributes that are allowed
in the config there is:

http://libvirt.org/format.html

Or if you are really feeling adventurous a Relax-NG schema

http://libvirt.org/libvirt.rng

Finally, virt-manager has some slightly increased capabilities for changing
existing guests configs. You can use it to add/remove both disk and network
devices - as well as previous UI for memory/max-memory & vcpus

Regards,
Dan.
--
|=- Red Hat, Engineering, Emerging Technologies, Boston. +1 978 392 2496 -=|
|=- Perl modules: http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ -=|