[Fedora-xen] How is network bridging for Xen handled in F7?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Jun 5 17:29:10 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 06:23:57PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 06:58:31PM +0200, Christian Reiter wrote:
> > Hi!
> >

> > Can anybody tell me where i can find docs about handling network bridges for xen domUs in Fedora 7?
> >
> > Something changed since FC6, so i cannot figure out how to create simple bridges without dhcp for my xen domUs.
>
> Previously there was a xen module called 'netloop' in use. So if you used
> network-bridge, you'd get 4 interfaces
>
>   peth0    - physical device
>   xenbr0   - bridge device
>   vif0.0   - backend of virtual device
>   eth0     - frontend of virtual device
>
> peth0 & vif0.0 would be part of xenbr0
>

> In F7, use of netloop is removed to simplify dom0 config so you only get
> two interfaces
>
>   peth0  - physical device
>   eth0   - bridge device
>
> And peth0 is part of the eth0 bridge.

Oh btw, before anyone asks - we added compatability code to vif-bridge, so if
you have any existing guest config files which refer to 'xenbr0' they will
automatically join the eth0 bridge device instead. So existing guests are
supposed to 'just work' even though the Dom0 network config changed a little.

Dan.