[Fedora-xen] virt-manager and guest config file

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu m3freak at thesandhufamily.ca
Sun Jun 17 05:53:49 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 09:53 -0400, Hugh Brock wrote:
> >>    virsh dumpxml DOMAINNAME > guest.xml
> >>    vi guest.xml
> >>    virsh define guest.xml
> >
> > I just tried this, and it didn't work.  I had to "undefine" the guest
> > before I could define it again:
> >

> Hmm, it should work... what do you mean by "it didn't work?" Error message?

Here's what happens:

1. I do a a xml dump of the domU:

[root at xenmaster xen]# virsh dumpxml asterisk > guest.xml
libvir: error : failed to read configuration file /etc/xen/guest.xml

Though there's an error, guest.xml is created and looks okay.

2. I try  to define the domU with the xml file I just dumped (after editing the RAM parameters):

[root at xenmaster xen]# virsh define guest.xml
libvir: error : configuration file syntax error: expecting a name
libvir: Xen Daemon error : internal error domain with name already exists
error: Failed to define domain from guest.xml

I check domU config file, and nothing has changed: the define really did fail.

3. I undefine said domU:

[root at xenmaster xen]# virsh undefine asterisk
libvir: error : configuration file syntax error: expecting a name
Domain asterisk has been undefined

The asterisk config has been deleted, so it looks good so far.

4. I again try to define the asterisk domU with the xml file I dumped earlier:

[root at xenmaster xen]# virsh define guest.xml
libvir: error : configuration file syntax error: expecting a name
Domain asterisk defined from guest.xml

I check the domU config, and it's been updated with the changes I made to the xml dump.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Ranbir
--