[Fedora-xen] FC6 xen bugfixes planned?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Jun 27 13:35:32 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 01:04:56PM -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> Just ran into a bug with all the HVMs I have running under
> Xen with a 64 bit AMD host (FC6).
>
> Apparently the int3 debugger trap instruction gets the
> wrong PC reported in the VMs, so it is a pain in the
> patoot to do debugger development on Xen guests :-).
>
> (Search google for "hvm int3 amd" and you can find
> references to patches that are fairly recent - a lot
> more recent than the version of Xen provided with
> FC6).
>
> Any planned bugfixes in the pipe for Xen on FC6, or should
> I look at swapping in some completely different host?

FC6 is basically going to stay on Xen 3.0.3, because upstream Xen totally
fails to provide a stable ABI between the hypervisor & userspace tools
so upgrades during course of a Fedora release will be very painful. For
an example, consider if for every kernel upgrade you did, you needed to
upgrade your glibc, and the new glibc wasn't compatible with your old
kernel. Well that's the situation we're in with Xen & it utterly sucks.
So FC6 will stay on Xen 3.0.3.    If you have HVM issues the best bet
is to switch to Fedora 7 whcih is baed on Xen 3.1.0 which has much more
advanced HVM support.

Regards,
Dan.