[Fedora-xen] Problem about creating virtual machine in FC6

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Mar 9 13:52:42 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 12:41:05PM +0530, Sadique Puthen wrote:
> taoj2 at cs.rpi.edu wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I installed FC6 and I was trying to create a new virtual machine with the
> >virtual machine manager. I selected to use FC6 again as the guesting OS of
> >the new virtual machine.
> >
> >Everytime after I finishing install of the guest OS, It gave me a prompt
> >to reboot the guest system. But After I click the "reboot" button, the
> >vitual machine gone. It's weird. I think the reboot shouldn't make the
> >guest OS crash.
> >
> >I use the /var/lib/xen/images/box1 as the storage space of the guest OS. I
> >found that the file box1 is still there. So I was trying to use the
> >"restore saved machine" of virtual machine manager to reload it, However
> >it said that "Error restoring domain '/var/lib/xen/images/box1'. Is the
> >domain already running?"
> >

> "restore saved machine" is to restore machine which is saved using
> Virtual Machine -> save, not to start vms which are shut down.
> As of now, virt-manager is only capable of managing active/running vms.
> Managing inactive domains using virt-manager is something for future...
> You sould use "xm crate <config file name>" to boot a machine.

libvirt in FC6 does now have support for starting & listing inactive
domains. You can list them with

    virsh  list --all      or  virsh list --inactive

Start them with

    virsh start  <name|uuid>

Delete an inactive config with

    virsh undefine <name|uuid>

And finally create a new inactive domain from an XML description

    virsh define <xml file>

Once its had more tsting I'll push out an update virt-manager which can
managed them too - this is already in F7 rawhide.

Dan.