[Fedora-xen] Createing/working with disk images

Karel Zak kzak at redhat.com
Tue Mar 27 21:42:16 UTC 2007

On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 03:32:30PM -0600, Lamont Peterson wrote:
>       Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/loop0p1               1         523     4200966   83  Linux
> /dev/loop0p2             524         588      522112+  82  Linux swap /
> Solaris
>
> However, there is no /dev/loop0p1 or /dev/loop0p2 devices and I'm not sure
> what to do to make those accessible.  I need to be able
> to "mke2fs -j /dev/loop0p1" and "mkswap /dev/loop0p2" or equivalent.  Then I
> need to mount /dev/loop0p1 to copy files to it.
>
> How can I access partitions inside a disk image as block devices?  Should I be
> using something other than losetup here?

 man losetup
 man mount

 ... option "offset"

 or you can try lomount (from the Xen package) that supports
 partitions more friendly. For more information (especially when you
 want to use LVM), see:

 http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraXenQuickstartFC6?highlight=%28Xen%29#head-9c5408e750e8184aece3efe822be0ef6dd1871cd

    Karel

--