[Fedora-xen] PXE boot with Xen

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri May 18 17:47:06 UTC 2007

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 10:43:09AM -0700, Curtis Doty wrote:
> 8:41am Curtis Doty said:
>
> >11:20am Michael DeHaan said:

> >>initial
> >>>

> >> Someone's done something with hacking a wrapper around pygrub to do
> >> something like this, though you might also be interested in "koan" for
> >> automated installs.
> >> This will do basically the same thing and also pull in your preferences
> >> for RAM size and disk file size from the profiles -- so you still get
> >> fully automatic and repeatable
> >> network installs.   Koan is paravirt only at the moment though more virt
> >> types are next up on my list.
> >>
> >> http://cobbler.et.redhat.com
> >>

> >For fully virt, I was able to use an etherboot ROM image. Since it just
> >uses ISOLINUX to load the ROM, make it hdc:cdrom with boot=d and PXE away!
> >

> Better yet, the boot=n feature that's been in xen-unstable since December
> appeared in rawhide a couple weeks ago. :-) It looks much more elegant as
> the ROM is now included with Xen, avoids the ISOLINUX wrapper, and has
> some timeouts set properly.

Yes, for those who didn't notice, we changed our plan for rawhide fairly
late in the game & switched from 3.0.4 to 3.1.0 since there were very
compelling reasons to jump straight to 3.1.0. This means you do get the
new 'boot=n' option for PXE fullyvirt guests. We've not had time to
get PXE support into virt-install or virt-manager for F7 GA release, but
we'll be releasing an update with it shortly after GA.

Regards,
Dan.